We'll examine some test catalog entries that would apply to a function
or method taking an
IP Address as a parameter, since much of my
particular experience is in the IP address management problem domain,
so I can concoct quite a few relevant tests, ranging from the basic to
- What is the raw data type? (
String, what representations are supported?
(dotted-decimal, hex, decimal,
- What reliance does this method have on the subnet mask?
- Links to references about IP addresses, subnet masks, and
- If this method accepts a subnet mask, does it properly handle
non-contiguous subnet masks (ie:
- If this method accepts a subnet mask, and deals with ``ranging
over'' the entire subnet, does it properly handle crossing ``Class-C''
boundaries, or does it assume that the subnet mask is
255.255.255.0 and have bugs like incorrectly rejecting
- If the IP address and subnet mask in this code are used to
generate configuration input for a device or devices, does the code
respect whatever bugs or limitations the device itself might have
regarding subnet masks? For example, older IP stacks in naively
designed devices will specifically reject configurations where the
subnet mask does not fall on a ``class'' boundary (ie: